Kitchen Communication Center | Vintage, Paint and more...

Friday, February 7, 2014

Kitchen Communication Center

Written by: Cathy Carroll  


We are a family of five with many interests and many directions
we move in each day.
That has caused us some very chaotic and confusing times lately;
so,
I decided it was time to do something about organizing our schedules.
Thus,
The Communication Center 
was born.
Kitchen Communication Center - black chalkboard painted wall containing calendar and clipboards for family communication


I really don't know what took me so long to put this together.
It has been in the planning stages for quite some time.
And, we definitely could have used it way before now.
Too many times we have had scheduling conflicts 
that 
could have been avoided with just a simple bit of communication.


view of completed wall

We only have one wall in our kitchen that would work for this.
So, I began by painting the wall with black chalkboard paint.
I actually think that was the holdup.
Getting the nerve to paint this wall as we rent
and
I was a little fearful that it might be a little out there.
But, I am so glad I did it  - it looks absolutely awesome.

close up of dry erase calendar

Then I divided the wall into three components.
The top is a magnetic dry erase board that I drew a permanent calendar form on.
This way we can change the months 
and
place all our important dates and appointments on it.
I bought some different colored dry erase pens to use for different functions.
I also have a couple of magnets to hold separate notes that come in.
These are made from those advertising refrigerator magnets everyone has.
I covered them with drop cloth fabric 
and then embellished them with ribbon and buttons.
Then I just wrote the word "Notes" with a black sharpie pen.
I also have a magnetic pen holder on it that was 
embellished with ribbon and buttons.
Then there is a small magnetic notepad that I use to write needed groceries
as we run out.

close up of stenciled clipboards

The second part is made up of  three clipboards I covered with drop cloth fabric and stenciled.
I will be showing you how to do these later this week.
A very simple project that has a big impact on this wall.
Above each I wrote in chalk what was on that clipboard.
I divided it amongst the areas we get the most papers from
school, church and phone numbers.

close up of card/note holder

You can see the middle clip board has a special business card/note holder on it.
This is made from an old paper back book.
I will be giving a complete tutorial on it later this week also.
I love this idea so much I made two.
I placed the second one on my desk to hold notes and cards.
It is so handy and so easy to do.
Plus, it fills a big need at our house - where to put all those 
business cards, coupons, stray phone numbers and bits of paper that come in
that can't be thrown away.

close up of chalk board part of wall

The bottom third is just a chalkboard for us to write messages 
or
for the kids to draw and play on.
Let me tell you it was hard to hold them back while the paint cured.

view of completed wall

I love it.
It has already helped us get a few things organized that were otherwise 
over looked and lost.
I honestly don't know why I put it off for so long 
because 
it looks great and it is so functional.
And, did I mention
I. Love. It.....

What do you do to keep your family organized 
and 
functional?
Leave a comment - they really  make my day....


You can follow me through BloglovinGoogle+Facebook
and
Leave me a comment - I love to hear from each and every one of you.

Until next time
have fun creating something you love....


Click here to see the parties I am linking to this week.
Please visit them and see all the great projects and inspiration found there....


18 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness...that looks like the best idea ever!! You would not like to see my fridge!! Its a huge mess!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute idea! I love this! Thanks so much for linking up at Thursday STYLE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job! I love this idea. I hopped over from the BoogieBoardCottage link up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many great ideas in this post. Love the biz card holder, can't wait to see the tute. I could use one of these in the kitchen and the craft room!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just started using a dry erase board on the refrigerator and it is really helpful...I love how you made it even more organized, though! Thanks for linking up to the Bloggers Brags Pinterest Party. I have pinned your post to the Bloggers Brags Pinterest Board.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My kitchen could use on of these. Very cute and I love that it can be customized to each family and what sort of departments need to be organized. I need to put one in my office, too. Especially that business card holder. Very cute! Chrystal @ YUMeating

    ReplyDelete
  7. I believe every home could benefit from a set up like this so super cool
    come see us at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I raised 5 kids and was never as organized as this - and its beautiful besides! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great organization idea! I have been meaning to do the same in my kitchen but haven't committed to a design yet. It is so good to have a calendar that everyone can see. Especially for my boys to know what is going on day to day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cute! I did the same thing a few weeks ago and we use it all the time. Would love for you to share at Fridays Unfolded!

    Alison
    Nancherrow

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is awesome. Great job and I'm so glad it works for your family. Thanks for sharing at TTF!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic! I love how you coordinated the decorations on the clip boards, etc. with the color of the black board.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The message center is great and love the idea of using the chalkboard paint - that paint is awesome. It turned out really cute!

    Glad to have you share it on your gallery at Simply BeBetsy! Happy Valentine's Day and see you soon.

    The best to you,
    Sharon and Denise

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome organizing center! I love the chalkboard wall and the book page organizer. Thank you for sharing it at What We Accomplished Wednesdays. Have a great weekend! ~Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice! I'm sure this will be a big benefit for you and your family. I especially liked the business card holder made from an old paper back book. I'll have to check that tutorial. Thanks for sharing at the Party On the Porch. Blessings, D@TheShadyPorch

    ReplyDelete
  17. Really a great idea. I bet you are loving it! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete