A Handmade Christmas - Wreaths | Vintage, Paint and more...

Monday, November 25, 2013

A Handmade Christmas - Wreaths

Written by: Cathy Carroll; Vintage, Paint and more...



A Handmade Christmas - Part 2

Today I am going to show you a few wreaths you can make.
I love wreaths and have always made my own.
I don't remember ever buying a ready made one.
They are so expensive
and
I have found I can make them quite easily
and stick within my budget.
Thru the years I have made every kind you can imagine.
But, for this series I am going to stick to the ones I am using in my décor
this season.



Last year I made three wreaths that I will be reusing this year.


This book page paper wreath that I just wrote a tutorial about
(finally, after a year - what took you so long, Cathy?).
This is probably my favorite one.
It cost me all of 10 cents for the book
and
a few hot glue sticks and staples.
You can't get much cheaper than that for a wreath this large.
I love this wreath and it has taken up residence over our fireplace - year round.
It fills that space wonderfully and makes such a statement there.
I know I would never have found one that size in my budget.



Then there is our burlap wreath that is out year round as well.
This one is quite easy to make
but
does take some time and,  you will probably get a few glue gun burns along the way.
I wrote a tutorial for it also.
I think this one is quite versatile
and
can be dressed up for any season or just left plain -
as I usually have it.
 I love the vintage plain natural look it gives me.


 In this somewhat fuzzy picture from last year
I placed some red faux poinsettias in it to make it a little more Christmas-y.
But, you could use ornaments or pine cones
or
whatever you desired to dress this one up a lot.
Since it's made on a Styrofoam form base you can stick most
anything in it and then remove it after the season
with out harming it's integrity.
That's great for versatility on a budget.


Then there is the pine cone wreath.
I had wanted one of these for years but, never had the pine cones.
Last year we moved to a home that has an abundance of them
and
we gathered them, baked them, painted them, glittered them
and
came up with this wreath which I am in love with.
It stands out so bright against our black door
and
is most admittedly quite dressed up for the Christmas season
with it's red berries and glitter.
I wrote a tutorial to make it here.
This one is definitely inexpensive if you have a yard full of pine cones.
Just the cost of a metal wreath form - about $3, glue sticks, some white spray paint,
a little white glitter, and a few Dollar Store berries.
Not really much investment for such an impact.


This yarn wreath is this years addition to our Christmas décor.
I fell in love with these on Pinterest
and
so I decided to make one.
This one is so simple and took me about 2 hours to make.
Not much time for such a lovely wreath.
I love it just as it is - no embellishment at all.
Its texture is its statement.
I am incorporating it into our décor this year  - aiming for simple elegance.
( I will also be posting a tutorial on how to make it soon)


That's it for Christmas wreaths.
What do you think - maybe you will be making one for your
front door?
Which one would you choose?

I will be adding more to the Handmade for Christmas series
so you will not want to miss a single post.
You can follow me through Bloglovin, Google+, Facebook
and
my Christmas boards on Pinterest -
and
where you will find all kinds of inspiration.


You can read about
A Handmade Christmas - Trees  here



Until next time
have fun creating something you love....


Click here to see the parties I am linking to this week.
Please visit them and see all the great projects and inspiration found there.... 

24 comments:

  1. Love them all - I've been wanting to do a book one for awhile. I may do it over Christmas week (I have off - yeah!) I made a coffee filter wreath last year and love it!

    Leann

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have lots of pine cones. I love that wreath!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want all of them! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please post your tutorial for the yarn wreath. It's dec 1 and I need a wreath. Love the pine cone
    one too, but can't find many pinecones around now. I just found your site and will be coming back from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love them all!!! Thank you for sharing at One More Time Events..hugs Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are all beautiful. I especially love the pine cone wreath, and happen to have an abundance of pine cones. Hope you have a wonderful week,
    Visiting from Submarine Sundays

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all of your wreaths! I think the pine cone one is my favorite. Visiting from Give Me the Goods Link Party!

    - Tasha @ Designer Trapped in a Lawyer's Body (www.trappeddesigner.blogpspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow, I love them all too! Wreath making is so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are fantastic! I just moved into a new house as well and I have quite a few pine cones but they are the not-so pretty nor perfect long skinny pine cones. :(
    Oh well there is always store bought ones.
    Cheers,
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are all gorgeous but I think the pine cone wreath is one I would love for my front door which is also black! I'll be checking your tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such beautiful wreaths, Cathy. Thank you for sharing them at this week's Project Inspire{d} ~ pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love them all! Would love for you to share at Simple & Sweet Fridays this week. They're beautiful!
    Hugs,
    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cathy, they are all gorgeous! I have made the book page wreaths and they are still my favorites. The white pine cones really do make a statement! Thanks for sharing them with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the pine cone wreath! I've got them coming out my ears in our yard, now I know what to do with them!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These look great. I love the pinecone one.
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh all of them are so beautiful. Such great projects. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  17. love that wonderful white pinecone wreath!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the pinecone wreath and the fluffy white one. So pretty!! Come link up to my party and share this with everyone! thestylesisters.blogspot.com/2013/12/welcome-to-centerpiece-wednesday-104.html
    Karin

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the pine cone wreath! I've been wanting to make one myself, but I just haven't gotten around to it. Thanks for sharing @ Submarine Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What great wreaths! Thanks for sharing at Silver Pennies Sundays. x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you for the ideas. I especially like the burlap and paper wreaths. Now all I have to do is get busy making!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Stopping by to let you know you have been featured over at One More Time Events… Party is up… hope to see you again this week…Thank you for sharing!… Tammy

    ReplyDelete